Saturday, March 31, 2007

We're pregnant!


After almost two years of trying, Chad and I are thrilled to announce we are pregnant! We were absolutely shocked, considering the fact that the fertility doctor had just told us we would have to go the artificial insemination route. We found out on the morning of March 13th. I had a strange feeling I might be pregnant because I was, and had been, really dizzy for a few days. I also had some other signs. Because we have had problems before, I am considered high risk. That means I have to go in for a lot of blood work. I called my doctor and they had me come in that day. I got my results the following morning, and everything looked great. They had me come in two days later and repeat the bloodwork. Everything still looked great, but they wanted me to repeat it one more time. The results were a little different this time. Althought my pregnancy hormone was through the roof, my progesterone was lagging behind a bit. So, my doctor put me on progesterone. Chad and I went to the Walgreens pharmacy to get it, but they didn't have it. We were very disappointed, being that my doctor really wanted me to start on it immediately. I called my aunt Kathy - she's a compounding pharmacist - and she was nice enough to meet us halfway between La Porte and Katy to give me the medicine. Thank you Kathy!

We had our first appointment on March 27th, which was also our three year wedding anniversary. We were exactly 6 weeks. Nancy, Dr. Putterman's nurse, has known me for years. She also knows one of my best friends, Brenda, very well also. Before Brenda had her first sonogram Nancy asked her, "Do you want one or two?" Brenda said, "One!" Turns out Brenda had two. You'll see my first post was about The Myers House expecting twins. Brenda had beautiful twin girls on December 26, 2006. Sarah and Samantha are precious and perfect! I had to mention that because Nancy looked at me and said, "You just want ONE right?" I said, "Oooooh Nancy - do NOT put the evil twin hex on me! I know your tricky ways!" She laughed and said, "When I hear screaming across the office in a little while, I'll know it's because Dr. Putterman found them both." I just about died. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was off the charts. They made me lay down and relax. Finally, she returned and it had gone back to normal.

Most of my books told us the heartbeat isn't normally strong enough for Doppler technology to pick it up at 6 weeks. Imagine our excitement when Baby K proved them wrong boasting a strong heartrate of 135! Dr. Putterman printed out our first picture of Baby K and we all laughed because he/she is so tiny! Not even a centimeter long. Of course we go back for our 8 week appointment on April 9th at 3pm. Baby K is supposed to be a centimeter and half by then - man they grow fast!

Here's our first glimpse of Baby K. I'm feeling pretty good, just very tired and cranky. I feel a little nauseous in the morning, but it usually subsides around lunchtime.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We thank God for giving us this little blessing and we look forward to my pregnancy being a healthy one, resulting in a perfectly healthy baby in November! And oh - our due date is my Mother's birthday - November 20th!

No comments: