Friday, June 25, 2010

A Trip To The ER For Mommy

Well, as you all know I have been extremely busy. What does that mean? Neglecting myself. Not smart. I am going on record as saying I will NEVER EVER do that again.

Normally I drink 2-3 liters of water a day. As I said I have been busy, so I have maybe been getting down 1. NOT GOOD.

Last Thursday morning I told Chad my back felt weird around 9am. He took Carson to school, and by the time he got back it was worse. I took a really hot shower to see if that helped because I had lifted a heavy table I shouldn't have. I thought maybe it was muscular. Um, no. It was not. After the shower didn't help and I couldn't find a comfortable position, I told Chad I was calling Dr. Putterman's office. I did, left a message, and tried to wait for them to call back. After 10 more minutes the pain was unbearable. We gathered everything up and jumped in the car to head to the ER. Putterman's office called back on the way and told me to come there first. Glad we did because Dr. Putterman was able to call down to the ER to tell them I was on my way. When I say the pain was unbearable, I mean it. It was far more severe than any pain I have ever felt, including labor. It was so bad I was moaning, crying, and dry heaving. Once we got to the ER they took us back right away and gave me some pain medication and fluids. I was greatful.

Everyone believed it was a kidney stone except for me. I kept thinking it was muscular or even one of my organs was twisted. After a CT scan, we learned it was indeed a stone. It's 4mm and I haven't passed it yet. GREAT. In addition, they found blood in my urine. Thus, I have a kidney infection as well. I am on antibiotics for two weeks. They gave me one that is supposed to be safe for Cade because some of the medicine does pass through your breastmilk. I pumped and dumped until 10pm last Friday night to be sure all of the pain medication was out of my system.

To all of my busy new Mom girlfriends, do NOT forget about #1 - yourself! Drink your water, stay hydrated, get enough rest, eat properly, and just take care of yourself in general!

We're off to my 6 week appointment with Dr. Putterman tomorrow. Hard to believe Cade is 6 weeks old today. Time flies! I go back to work in two weeks! I'm ready but not ready...if that makes sense.

After my appointment with Putterman I have a follow up appointment with the urologist. Seeing as though I still haven't passed the stone, we are unsure if it's still in there or if it broke up on its own. Who knows? I am hoping for the best!

Love to all!

1 comment:

Suzy Shoup said...

Big hugs to you, Jaymie! I haven't had a stone *knock on wood*, but know exactly the back pain you're talking about for the kidney infection. :)